Let’s start the New Year with one resolution: STOP MAKING EXCUSES!
Here is a quote from HSI John Smith’s Inside the Training & Inside the Competition videos.
“A true champion, when they lose, they don’t get defeated. They get inspired by their loss. It makes them come back to practce. They can’t wait to get to the track. They blame no one”
But what about excuses? I’m sure as a coach, you’ve heard them all.
This list came from Bruny Surin’s blog.
Top ten excuses for a bad race
- The clock doesn’t work properly
- I thought there was a false start so I didn’t start running until it was too late
- The starter was too quick
- The starter was too slow
- The track was too soft
- The photo finish does not work
- My leg was sore
- The runner in the lane next to me was hitting me
- I didn’t hear the gun
- I stopped running because I mixed up the finish lines.
Speaking of Bruny Surin, here is a video from his 60 meters race at the 1993 World Indoor Championships in Toronto, Canada.
I would LOVE to hear some of the pathetic but funny excuses out there! Please comment below, and remember, this is a family friendly site!