This article is an anthology of attributes for a great coach. Mix the ingredients carefully and add you own touch.
Many Thanks to all the readers who submitted their notes and thoughts.
From Tom Tellez: You are the teacher, and the classroom is the track
What are the qualities of a good coach?
What is HOPE?
What exactly does a coach do? How many hats do you wear?
What do you have to do as a Coach?
- Teach the skills, rules, and strategies of the sport in an orderly and enjoyable environment.
- Teach and model desirable personal, social, and psychological skills including sportsmanship and citizenship.
- Provide opportunities to physically challenge the cardiovascular and muscular systems of the body that will enable all children to grow up healthy and remain physically active for life.
What exactly is a Teacher?
To be a good teacher, you must be well organized, therefore:
- Identifying your primary purpose as a coach
- Stating your goals
- Selecting and organizing the objectives for the season
- Scheduling and planning
- Articulating your expectations and the consequences for inappropriate behavior
- Evaluating each player and providing appropriate and timely feedback
- Implementing your plan throughout the year in practices and games
- Communicating effectively with all of your players AND their parents both informally and formally
- Evaluating your actions and their effects
- To Protect and CARE for your Athletes
The last line says it all… To Protect and CARE for your Athletes!