The fall season is a great time to get certified in any coaching discipline. The USATF Level 1 is no different. There are still several spots available depending on where you live.
Level 1 schools are usually two or two-and-a-half-day courses where 21.5 hours are spent on track & field and related sport science. The course consists of classroom instruction as well as hands-on training. Attendance at all sessions is required.
The costs is only $125 with an online exam which you can take afterwards, and not necessarily immediately after the course. You have to study!
Here are the remain schools open for 2010:
- Dec 17-19 University of Houston – Houston, TX Registration Information
- Dec 17-19 Mount Mercy University – Cedar Rapids, IA Registration Information
- Dec 17-19 Westerville South High School, Westerville, OH Registration Information
- Dec 11-12 Chabot College – Hayward, CA Registration Information
- Dec 10-12 Queens University Sport Complex – Charlotte, NC Registration Information
- Dec 10-12 Colby College – Waterville, ME Registration Information
- Dec 03-05 USMA – West Point, NY Registration Information
- Nov 19-21 Gill Facility – Champaign, IL Registration Information
- Nov 19-21 Romulus High School – Romulus, MI Registration Information
- Nov 19-21 Chattahoochee Technical College – Marietta, GA Registration Information
Suggested Reading List from the USATF:
- Training for Young Distance Runners, Greene and Pate, 1997, Human Kinetics
- Middle & Long Distance: Contemporary Theory, Technique and Training, Jarver, 2002, Track and Field News Press,
- Sport Physiology for Coaches, Sharkey and Gaskill, 2006, Human Kinetics
- Textbook of Running Medicine, O’Connor and Wilder, 2001, McGraw-Hill
- Biochemistry Primer for Exercise Science, Houston, 2001, Human Kinetics
- Peak When It Counts : Periodization for American Track and Field (4th ed), Freeman, 2001, Track and Field News Press