There comes a time in your track career when (hopefully) you will get a chance to run at the Elite and World level.
What are the ins-and-outs in finding an agent, landing your first sponsor, and getting into big meets?
I had the chance to speak to Sports Agent Kris Mychasiw of Sprint Management (He’s also the COO of Bruny Surin’s The Surin Group)
Their roster includes Canada’s top sprinters (Justyn Warner of CoverGround.ca, Jared Connaughton and Mike Leblanc) and 3 of the 5 top Canadian women 100m hurdlers (Priscilla Lopes-Schliep, Phylicia George, and Nikkita Holder). They also represent other countries like Lerone Clarke of Jamaica and US born/Haitian triple jumper Samyr Laine.
SIDENOTE: Samyr Laine is another story altogether, as he is one of the most educated athletes out there with a Harvard undergrad and a Law degree from Georgetown University… and still competing!
Our call on Skype was recorded a week before the 2012 World Indoor Championships in Istanbul, Turkey.
Kris and I discuss the key questions:
- Finding a good agent
- When to turn Professional
- How to land your first sponsor, i.e. the shoe contract, and other sponsors
- How to get into World class meets, and the crazy travel logistics for Europe (and the $40K credit card bills!)
- The role of the "Coach-Agent-Therapist" Triad
- Future financial planning when you retire
If you are an aspiring young athlete, this 20 minute call is a MUST watch video.