WHEN: November 2 & 3, 2013
WHERE: Leeds Metropolitan University, at the Carnegie Campus. Carnegie has a huge heritage in producing athletes and the Carnegie campus is a beautiful place to spend a couple of days. Upon registering you’ll be sent all the details for the workshop including places you can look at staying for the weekend.
Following the success of the Vern Gambetta Building the Complete Athlete workshop in 2012 (FULL video available HERE) we are delighted to announce Vern is coming back to the UK to deliver his SPEED TO THE MAX 2 Day Workshop. This is a chance to learn from a true legend in speed development, athletics and strength and conditioning.
Book your place NOW to ensure you get this opportunity that will not be repeated!
About the Course/Course Objectives
Speed is arguably the defining factor in most sports from rugby to wrestling, sprinting to soccer. But how do you develop that super athleticism in your athletes, in yourself or your clients?
This course will answer these questions and so much more. Vern will cover every aspect of Speed Development. The course is delivered by a true legend in athlete preparation with over 40 years of genuine high performance experience.
- Introduction – The concept of Sport Specific Speed and an in depth look at developing sprinters and speed in general.
- Biomechanics of Speed: The key concepts that are required in coaching. Learn all about ground reaction forces, contact times, horizontal versus vertical force production and gain a greater understanding of the sprint model in this model.
- Posture, Arm Action, Leg Action (PAL) Paradigm, progressions and regressions to get the best from your athletes. This fundamental coaching sequence will be explained in depth. Vern will show his unique application of the system that has led to elite sprinters and multi sport athletes setting personal beasts for over 40 years.
- Designing your sprint session: Including functional warm-up progressions leading into speed mechanics. Putting together the session is a key part of the process of actually getting faster! In this section of the workshop Vern will show how to ensure your athletes are ready to train for speed and then how to progress the speed session to get the most from them at all times.
- The Mechanics of Speed: This module covers starting and acceleration mechanics, absolute speed, optimum stride length and frequency. You’ll learn what you should be looking for in your coaching, how to utilize video to provide effective feedback and how to time your coaching interventions to ensure your athletes gain the understanding and learning that you want from them.
- Multi-Directional Speed and Agility: This module covers the transfer of straight line speed to sports requiring agility and multi-directional movement mechanics. Learn how to take you athletes to the next level when it comes to changing direction.
- Analysis and Evaluation of Speed: How do you know when your improving? This module will teach you simple tests and give you simple tools to evaluate performance gains, along with more in depth analysis of the sprinting mechanics so you know exactly WHERE to make the changes that are required for improvements.
- Strength Training for Speed: Learn about how to get your athletes functionally strong, dynamic and explosive using Vern’s strength and power training principles that have developed performance athletes for over 40 years.
- Programming for Speed: Learn all about how to design speed, strength, and performance programs that will bring the best out of your athletes all year round. Learn about WHEN to emphasize strength and work capacity, when to train for absolute speed, how to build robust athletes and keep people injury free.
- Plyometrics, mobility and flexibility training: Learn how these 3 tools can be applied to build serious speed and athleticism in your athletes. How to coach, program, progress and regress to suit the population or individual you work with.