Last Updated on November 16, 2012 by Jimson Lee
This is a very old excerpt, 10 years old to be exact, from a posting by James Shanahan to the Yahoo Supertraining newsgroup list.
Matt Shirvington set a Personal Best and National Record in 1998, which stood until Patrick Johnson’s 9.93 back in 2003.
I thought you folks might be interested looking at the in-season program of Matt Shirvington from ’98 before setting his Australian record of 10.03. If any of you can get through a week of this sort of training, then you’re a better man than I!
The following was published in “Australian Athlete” magazine :
Morning session – Maximum strength
- Dynamic warm up (includes jgging, drills, general stretching and specific stretching exercises for this particular session.)
- Power cleans – 90kg x 5 reps, 100kg x 3 reps 110kg x 2 reps 120kg x 1-2 reps
- Bench press – same progression up to 130kg (286lbs)
- Squats – up to 200kg (440lbs)
- Various exercises for abs and back
- Sprint drills and plyometrics at the track
- Warm down including jogging, stretching and massage.
Afternoon session – Stretching and Swimming
Morning session – maximum velocity and starting acceleration –
- dynamic warm up
- technical runs: 6 x 60m
- acceleration runs: 6 x 60m
- starts – up to 10 starts over 30m
- handicap starts (putting training partners in front 1m- 3m)
- “flying sprints” or assistance sprints (down hill or using wind) 4-6 x 50m
- warm down
Afternoon session : massage
Morning session – power strength
- warm up
- explosive weights ( performed as fast as possible with only 50% of max or
- lighter for 3 x 10 reps)
- power clean or snatch
- bench press
- speed squat
- jumps from half squat
- “Borzov” jumps
- sprint drills and sprints at the track
- warm down
Afternoon session – technical and tactical (video and biomechanical
Morning session – speed endurance and bend technique (for 200m)
- Dynamic warm up
- technical drills and runs on the bend
- sprint into bend and off the bend 4-6 x 60m
- speed endurance – 2 sets (8 x 80m) at 95% intensity
- technical tempo 75% intensity (2 x 250m)
- warm down (jog and stretch)
Afternoon session – regular physio treatment
Tactical preparation for Competition and rest
My Comments: I wonder what were the results of his video analysis?
ADRIAN ROCK says
These site are good for references…
Jimson Lee says
@Adrian – Thanks! There will be a lot more to come.