If your track team is big enough, you probably have your own team physio and medical staff.
If you are a small group, then YOU are probably the team doctor and physio.
From experience, pulled muscles, dehydration, and bleeding from getting spiked are the top 3 ailments to treat while on the road.
Here is a sample of my “toolkit” when attending track meets. You can’t assume they will have ambulatory services, especially the low key all comers meets!
First Aid Kit Checklist
- Ice packs
- Water, Gatorade or POWERade, and Pedialyte
- Heat rub, muscle rub and other ointments
- Energy bars
- Pain and inflammation relievers like Advil (Ibuprophen) and Tylenol
- Anti-nausea pills like Gravol for motion sickness on buses and planes
- Antiseptic (when getting spiked)
- Gloves (to prevent the spread of HIV)
- Elastic bandage
- Band aids, both rectangular and butterfly styles
- Gauze for wiping blood and for large cuts
- Surgical tape
- Ankle wrap tape, especially for jumpers!
What’s in your toolkit?