Last Updated on June 25, 2012 by Jimson Lee
I started my Track career at nine years old as a Triple Jumper, so the horizontal jumps has a special meaning to me. Because speed training is vital for jumpers, I also ran the 4x200m relay, then eventually became a specialist in the 400 meters.
The Long and Triple Jump doesn’t have the glory as the 100 meters or the Mile, but the event requires the speed of a sprinter and superior explosive power. And like a fast car, it requires control at maximum speeds (not my car!)
Looking back, here were my top 3 issues, and I see these same problems coaching jumpers even today:
- the approach run sets you up for the jump phase just like the start in the 100 meters. Thus, a lot of errors can be attributed to the 30-40 meter approach run.
- consistency throughout the rounds, including getting the ratios right. One bad phase (takeoff, hop or step) will flow to the next phase.
- Lack the strength and explosive power for the correct height and distance for each phase, especially the 2nd phase, the STEP.
If you have the luxury of a dedicated sprint coach specialist, or a jumps coach, great. Otherwise, most sprint coaches coach the hurdles or the horizontal jumps. Here’s how you can learn what you need to know to coach the jumps.
If you’ve been to enough USATF and USTFCCCA clinics, you’ll recognize the name Irving “Boo” Schexnayder. His resume includes 19 NCAA Champions and 10 Olympians.
His latest 4 DVD package is the most complete training for the long and triple jump that I have come across.
Each DVD is about 1 hour, and it covers:
- DVD 1: Teaching Long Jump Technique
- DVD 2: Teaching Triple Jump Technique
- DVD 3: Weight Training for Speed and Explosive Power
- DVD 4: An entire training inventory for 40 circuits, 400 exercises, & Specific Warm-up Routines both Static and Dynamic
The entire package is regularly $129, but you can get it on sale for $99 until Friday Midnight October 21. (Each DVD has a retail price of $39.99) Both beginner coaches and advanced coaches will benefit from this package.