Last Updated on
This is Part 1 of a multi-part series from my week in Orlando & Clermont.
Dennis Mitchell is the head coach with Star Athletics at the National Training Center in Clermont, Florida. Prior to coaching, he has won numerous medals at the Olympics and World Championships in both 100 meters and the 4×100 meter relay.
His personal best is 9.91 and still holds the American record in the 4x100m relay set back in 1992.
I had the opportunity to spend the day with his hurdles and sprint groups. I’ll save those stories and videos in later posts, and to kick start this series, here is my interview with him. I asked him several questions, including:
- Athlete to Coach transition
- Long to short, or short to long approach
- How much strength/explosive/specific work outside the track?
- Training differences in Men vs. Women. His wife Damu Cherry-Mitchell is currently a Nationally ranked 100m hurdles athlete.
- On Justin Gatlin & his technique
- Advice for 4x100m coach and squad?
Here is the video on Vimeo: