Last Updated on March 28, 2010 by Jimson Lee
This week is dedicated to the NFL Scouting Combine, held February 24 – March 2, 2010.
Basically, it’s a Job Fair for 300 of the best college football players seeking employment. Everyone will be there and everyone will be watching.
A lot of emphasis is on the 40 yard dash, but the other skills tested are equally as important.
Here are the drills you need to master:
- Vertical Jump – designed to test leg strength and lower-body explosiveness
- Standing Long Jump – designed to test leg strength and lower-body explosiveness
- 225 lb. Bench Press – designed to test the upper-body strength and strength endurance
- 10 Yard Dash – times show how explosive a player is off the line
- 20 Yard Dash – times show how explosive a player is off the line and how he maintains it
- 40 Yard Dash – times show how explosive a player is off the line and how he maintains it
- 20 Yard Shuttle – designed to test explosiveness, how a player bends and changes direction, and body control
- 60 Yard Shuttle – designed to test explosiveness, flexibility, and body control plus a test of endurance
- 3-Cone Drill – designed to test a player’s efficiency in changing direction moving left and right, explosiveness, balance, body control and mobility
In addition to the 40 Yard Dash, here is a good video with Melvin Bullitt demonstrating the 20 Yard and 60 Yard Shuttle plus the 3 Cone Drill on YouTube.
With a last name of “Bullitt”, how can you not be fast?