Last Updated on March 10, 2013 by Jimson Lee
British National Team coach Nick Dakin is also the Director of Coaching for Loughborough Students Athletics Club at Loughborough University, a world prominent centre for coaching, sport and exercise science. A former hurdler himself who represented Wales internationally, Nick’s coaching accomplishments include:
- Kemel Thompson (48.05 – 2006 Commonwealth Bronze Medalist and World Championships finalist)
Mr. Jana PittmanChris Rawlinson (48.14 – 2002 Commonwealth Champion, 2002 World Cup Bronze Medalist and 3 time European Cup Gold Medalist)
- Rhys Williams (49.09 – 2006 Commonwealth finalist and 2006 European Championships Bronze Medalist)
- 400m specialist David Gillick (45.52 indoors, 45.23 outdoors – 2007 European Indoor 400m Champion)
- 400m “moving-up-to-the-800m-man” Martyn Rooney (45.35 – 2006 World Junior Championships Bronze Medalist and British junior national record holder).
Nick Dakin Hurdle Drills DVD
Coach Nick Dakin presents a 5-part drill plan for you to incorporate into your hurdle practice routine. Dakin’s instruction consists of:
- Hurdle mobility drills that work through range of motion with lead and trail legs.
- Technical Conditioning: Dakin begins with postural drills that are designed to strengthen the core and to keep the athlete "tall" at all times.
- Technical drills: Dakin focuses on isolation drills with a progression that includes side step drills, full hurdle short stride drills, alternating lead right and lead left and a one-step drill.
- Spatial Awareness drills: Dakin’s focus is creating athlete awareness for coming into and away from the hurdles.
- Bend Drills: Dakin offers drills and strategies for maintaining technical control on the bend.
As well, Dakin’s instruction is applicable for the 300 meters Intermediate hurdles for Youth and Masters.
This video is 27 minutes long and produced in 2009.
BONUS PODCAST: Nick Dakin
In this interview, Nick Dakin discusses training for the 400m hurdles, including:
- technical training
- special endurance
- maximal speed training
- strength and power development for long hurdlers.
He also discusses the British athletics system and the expectations placed upon British athletes going into the London 2012 Olympics
If you are a hurdler or hurdle coach, you definitely do not want to miss this outstanding interview with one of the top long sprint coaches in the world. Best of all, it’s free by going to the Canadian Athletics Coaching Centre website or using the built in Player below.
PODCAST Info: – Presenter: Nick Dakin, British National Team Coach
Interview Date: February 22, 2008
Duration: 51 mins
File Size: 20 MB